Saturday 15 September 2018

Current activity - some 10mm WW1

Here are current activities.  First a bit of stumbling with WW1 figures and black undercoat. 

Now, I'll admit, I've never really liked a black undercoat, much preferring white.  I think it's really because I can't see any detail on a black undercoat. And so, when I got some Kallistra 10mm WW1 figures I had a debate about which to use, then decided to trial both. 

Here are pictures. After undercoating black, I gave the those figures a top down dusting of pale grey. It looks OK so far. 


Then I applied some field grey, and washed over it with a green wash, because I understand the WW1 German uniforms seem to have been slightly more green than in WW2.  It's OK so far, though I'm not convinced the black really achieved anything. 

However, at the back was my airbrushed attempt to do the blue coat on the French, and it was a mess. I just didn't like it, and after a bit of a debate, decided to strip the paint and start again. 


And a final shot of the figures after being brushed with isopropyl cleansing alcohol.  It was like reverse dry-brushing.  

After all this I've decided to pause and think some more about how to paint these figures.  I think I may even rebase to 3 infantry and 2 cavalry per base. 

More later. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom,

    Try stripping figures in dettol works a treat a d you can pick up cheaper alternatives than the brand name in Savers etc.

    For these guys I would forego the undercoat and base coat in the primary uniform colour only; for example grey for the bosch and khaki for the tommies. Pick out details and then wash in appropriate toning mix. Army painter both a field grey and khaki that should be suitable.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.