One project I have is to replace basetex with flock on some bases. Basetex looked OK to me for a while, but then I went off the look and decided to replace it. I could have taken all the miniatures off the bases and started again, but I figured it was easier to just replace the basetex patches.
The majority of my models which feature basetex are 15mm American Civil War, though there are some medieval I've yet to get around to working on. It's not something I feel I have to do right away as the figures are good enough for tabletop battles, so this is a gentle on-going project.
Here's where they start.
I then brush water over the green basetex and let it soak for a few minutes. I may repeat the process before scraping off the basetext with a small screwdriver, modelling tool or old worn out brush. The bases then look a bit like this.
Then I paint over what ever green is left to get back to a bare earth finish. I probably don't have to do do this stage, but I like getting back to a clear surface.
Finally I apply the flock where the basetex once was, and the finish is more pleasing to my eye.
Most of the bases I have to do are ACW infantry and artillery, and probably in the region of 200 - 250 total. I've done about 50 so far and will do more as and when I can.
Meanwhile, other gaming activities carry on. Here are two boardgames I've played recently at the club. Squad Leader is still a venerable classic, and one of the best games for squad level combat.
At the other end of the scale is No Retreat: The Russian Front, an operational or strategic game on that conflict. It's a card supported game with a few units and another really fun game. I'll do a fuller post on this game in the future.
And just to show that painting has not ceased, here are some of my 15mm SYW Austrians which I've finally got around to starting. I'm going to try to do enough Austrians and Prussians to refight Kolin for the Maurice rules. It's an achievable target.
Everything is based on 40mm front bases, with 4 bases per infantry or cavalry unit and 1 base per artillery unit.
I've always liked these Essex figures, and I've put together my infantry as 23 figure units and my cavalry as 12 figure units. I say 23 instead of 24 because I'm using a mounted officer in place of 2 foot figures. This works out neatly with the Essex figure packs as 2 infantry packs of 8 figures and 1 command pack of 6 figures get me my unit, and all I need to add is a mounted officer.
However, as I moaned in a previous post, I've never liked the cast on flags so I'm replacing all those figures with other officer figures, to which I've attached wire standard poles. That will let me attach paper flags.
And that's it for now. In a couple of weeks at the club we'll be playing a Dark Ages variant of Lion Rampant rules, so I'm hoping to get a few pictures from that. More later ...