Monday, 18 May 2015

work in progress

I'm still working on the GNW stuff but no more finished yet. Maybe I'm trying to do too many units at once. But here's a couple of work in progress pictures. 

The 4 Swedish units.  They just need a 'top 'n' tail', muskets and pikes, shoes and tricornes plus anything I've missed.  

Then 5 Russian cavalry units. There's a sixth unit off to the left of the picture but I'm still undecided whether to do a red or white uniform.  They're in much the same state as the Swedes and just need that 'top 'n' tail' to round them off.  But I've still to do the horses for this lot.

And part of the reason for taking longer with the GNW stuff is I found these Essex Seleucid / Successors in a box and decided to paint them up before probably selling them.    

Lastly, I went to another grand show at Carronade in Falkirk. Met good friends and saw a good range of traders and saw some nice display and participation games.  The only figures I bought were some more Blue Moon Marlburian figures which I'll paint up as Danes.  Other purchases were bases, paints and books.  

And on the topic of Danes - one chap mentioned the new Danish tele series called 1864 and later gave me the book. It is another one of those episodes from history about which I was vaguely aware but knew very little.  The first episode was last weekend but I've yet to see it though I have started reading the book.    

Thursday nights at the club

I've missed a few updates, so here's a quick note of stuff played recently.  

A few weeks back it was ADG ancient rules in 15mm. I had Nikephorian Byzantine against some other flavour of Byzantine.  Friends at an adjacent table had Hungarians vs Medieval Germans. Good games had by all and I lost by a couple of points.  

The next week we played Maurice with a friend's 6mm Marlburian figures.  A good game where I was attacking with the French and Bavarians and was able to put pressure on both flanks. This caused my opponent to use up his cards to counter the moves.  I was able to use the 'Confusion' card to send one of the enemy cavalry to face off towards a wood on the flank.  

But then came combats and my army morale started to crumble. In the Maurice rules, each unit that routs has a variable morale value loss to the army of between 1 and 3 depending on a die roll.  My opponent rolled 1's and 2's for a 1 morale loss where I was rolling 4's to 6's for a 2 or 3 morale loss.  Eventually the French morale crumbled.  But still a great game.  

The following week was mid-war Flames of War. We had a two-a-side game, with one half of the table an urban setting the other, rural.  I took Russians and normal army rather than my usual Guards.  Hey-ho; morale crumbled; troops became pinned and tanks were lost, and I didn't have enough reserves for the final fight round the objectives.  Next time I'm using the Guards again. 

And last week was Wings of Glory.  All the planes belonged to the club or to one of the players. We had 7 of us round the table with a plane each.  The players with the 3 most expensive planes against the others. I had some Italian fighter.  We actually managed 3 games in the evening; 2 games were with opposing sides, then a final game of last man standing (or flying), basically every man for himself.  I managed to stay on the table till the last two. 

This week will be a two-a-side Dystopian Wars bash.  750 points for each player.