Tuesday, 20 September 2016

Quick splash of paint on the WoR figures

I managed to make a bit of a start on the plastic Wars of Roses figures for Lion Rampant. This is not a colour basecoat or the finished article; just me splashing on some paint to get idea the colour combinations I want to use, particularly with the livery. My focus is Yorkist units, my usual with my WoR armies.   

I reckon I will do 2 slightly different liveries of 6 figures in each 12 figure archer unit. This group will likely be blue / yellow and white / blue (the first colour is on the right side). I want to use a combination of reds on the other 12 archers, but I've not yet decided the livery. I don't think I want to use the blue / maury combination of Edward IV and co.  

I still have a couple of little books of WoR liveries and flags that I got many years ago - I think from the Lance and Longbow society. They are good to look through, but so many nice combinations make deciding on liveries for 6 or 12 figures a bit tricky.   

I gave the men-at-arms a thin black wash to highlight the detail on the armour. Trendy 'tinternet paint-heads probably call this pre-shading or something similar.

At first I thought the bills would be in the livery of Warwick, but there's not a lot of surface to do the ragged staff. Then I decided to paint the sleeves red but painted the jacks brown - it wasn't looking that good side by side, so the sleeves got a coat of white. I'll think again about colours for the bills.

More later.

Napoleonic British generals finished

I finished off the basing for the generals. Here are the finished figures. 

In the background of the first two photos are the horses for the final unit of British dragoons. That's likely to be the next batch of figures I paint.  Otherwise, waiting in the wings are more British infantry. 

More later ... 

Wednesday, 14 September 2016

And just when I thought it was safe ...

So I wasn't really planning on any fresh projects as I've been having a clear-out. But then I played Lion Rampant at the club in the week before Claymore. It's a great game, and so I bought some Perry plastics at the show and set about preparing them.

Here's the story so far. First the bare plastic figures on circular 25mm mdf bases with sand glued down for texture.

Then given a good undercoat of white. Everything here is enough for my late English / WoR force - 1 men at arms unit, 1 unit of bills and 2 units of expert archers. 

And then just in case I want some variation, some mounted men at arms and serjeants, crossbows and bidower skirmishers.  All this lot should give me plenty options and let me field a Free Company or Burgundians, Germans or Italians of the era. 

Some more British Napoleonic done

Circumstances have meant I didn't get too much painting done recently, but I did get two British heavy cavalry units done and the generals almost finished.

Here's the pictures. The 1st Royals and the 2nd Scots Greys. (The Iniskillings are waiting in the wings). 

And the generals. A lot of scarlet and some gold, but not too much flashiness as we're British, don't-cha-know.  In the background are horses for the generals, some artillery train chaps and the Iniskillings.

I hope to get the generals finished by the end of the week.  More later. 

Wednesday, 17 August 2016

First British Napoleonic units done

Here are the first 6 of the British Napoleonic units I'm doing.  I reckon they are done, though I'll have to do a final check just to make sure I have missed something.

First the 1st (arf, arf!).  The Royal Scots, the right of the line.

Then the 92, the Gordons and the 42nd, the Black Watch.

The 73rd.

Then the 30th and the 44th. 

So I finally got there. 6 units down, 5 infantry and 5 cavalry to go plus the artillery and generals.  I may post some closer pictures later.  

Sunday, 31 July 2016

Napoleonic British update

Just  a quick post to show how the British are progressing.  All are heading towards the final stages, but not quite there yet. 

The 92nd. 

A green facings regiment, probably to be the 73rd. 

A blue facings regiment which will probably be the 1st.  This is because one of my favourites higher units is Pack's Brigade in 1815.   

A yellow facings regiment. It's likely this will be the 44th (Essex). This unit is the one that's most along the way to getting finished. 

The 42nd. 

And another yellow facings regiment. I'm not sure who this will represent, perhaps the 30th.

More later.

Last week at the club

I've missed several weeks worth of posts, but here's a couple from the last two weeks. Other chaps at the club took the rest of us through a couple of Osprey rule sets. 

We played the Napoleonic naval game from Osprey. I think it was called Fighting Sale. It was great fun and very simple. Lots of dice. I wasn't sure about the 90 degree turn but we might have got that bit wrong. 

I prefer the move mechanism of Sails of Glory with cards, but the Osprey combat seemed a bit more straightforward. A good game which we'll try again. 

The other Osprey title was Lion Rampant and I think that was even more fun. It gave me a chance to dust off some skirmish figures that have been in a box for years. I didn't have enough for a full game so we played with what we had. We had a couple of great games and I think this is definitely one to play again. Lots of dice on both sides, leader casualties and forces running away. Maybe we'll get more people to dust off their skirmish armies. 

I must also admit I was very wary about going near these rules, particularly Lion Rampant. I'd suffered through FoG and FoGR and was uncertain about any more Osprey rules. I'd also tried and quickly got fed up of the Saga skirmish game as we seemed to spend half the night arranging dice on a board instead of moving around figures and actually rolling dice.

However, I've been pleasantly surprised by the two sets of rules and we'll play them again.

Next week is Black Powder with Napoleonics.