Saturday 24 March 2018

The most recent project - Raging Heroes

This is another side project that's been bubbling under and I decided to try get beyond the bare metal / resin stage. I don't think these will make it to a game and are more just for the painting challenge.   

First, the metal figures. These figures are 32mm and intended as substitute figures for the warhamsters or other skirmish games. They are lovely figures and go under the name of sci-fi blood vestals! Whatever! Here they are, undercoated white. I did this batch of undercoating with the airbrush.  


Next, the first resin figures. These are the fantasy version, and are called Daughters of the Orphanage.

Now, these were my first resin figures are there was a little bit of swearing going on as I assembled them. The resin is quite brittle and care has to be taken cutting them from sprues. The detail is very good but the components like swords or ornaments are fragile and can break. Thankfully, superglue easily bonds the resin to repair breaks. I gave them a wash in warm soapy water and then sprayed the undercoat.   




Lastly, three more resin figures. These were as delicate and fragile as the previous batch, and more swearing ensued during assembly. But this was minor compared to language when washing the figures to remove the resin mould release agent. It took several washings, including one after my first spraying attempt when I had to remove the undercoat and wash them again. Finally I brushed on Fairy liquid from the bottle and let them soak before brushing and washing the figures again, and at last I got to a stage where they could be undercoated.  

And here's what they are now starting to look like. I airbrushed the skin with Vallejo Game Air elf flesh, then gave the figures a sort of wash lining of shadows and folds with a mixture of sepia and fleshtone washes. The result is OK so far. 






Now, in the past couple of years, I've become a convert to plastic figures, but my experience here with resin makes me doubt if I'll buy any more resin. Of course, I might be going about assembling resin figures all wrong. Maybe if I'd washed the resin figures thoroughly while still on the sprues it might have been easier.

More later.       


4 comments:

  1. Definitely easier to wash on the sprue but I feel your pain, my hordes figures are all resin, and it’s either rock hard and brittle or softer resin that’s bendy.
    They look like very good sculpts and should be fun to paint.
    Are those little plastic cups they are on for the photos, they look handy for painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Russ,
      The little plastic cups are cheap plastic 'shot' glasses from Tesco (I think). They were about 50 for a pound. However, while they were a good idea, I wouldn't use them for metal figures like I did here as they become top heavy and easy to knock over. I'm going to go back to mounting these metal figures on old Citadel pots or Miniature Paints glass jars.
      cheers,
      Tom

      Delete
  2. Removing mould release from resin figures like these can be awkward. My tip is to buy a small ultrasonic bath (also useful for cleaning your airbrush), leave them on the sprue and blast them in a bath of water with a little washing up liquid, then give the sprues a good rinse in clean water.

    The Raging Heroes figures are very nice sculpts, but you do have to be careful when removing them from the sprue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tamsin,
      I appreciate the comments and tips. I'll look into the ultrasonic bath idea.

      I'll also have to be careful handling the resin figures. I dropped one of the Daughters of the Orphanage yesterday and a hand and knife pinged off and I can't find it. I may have to bring in a substitute plastic hand that's spare from other boxes.

      cheers,
      Tom

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.