Saturday 8 June 2019

games still going on

I realised I've not posted anything for ages, though games are going on at the club and I'm still waffling about from project to project. 

Here's some recent activity. I was working away at these dark ages figures, then a couple of things bubbled up.  




A project I revisit over the years is the forces at Quatre Bras in the 1815 campaign. I've fascinated by the battle for maybe 50 years or so, and a lot has to do with the different uniforms in such a small battle - British line, rifles, highlanders, Dutch Belgians in green and blue, French line and light, lancers and chasseurs.  

So I thought about clearing out lots of my figures and just focussing on Quatre Bras. !5mm / 18mm is the chosen scale this time (though 10mm is still bubbling under 😂). I was thinking about doing it all with AB miniatures and I got a batch which a friend picked up for me at Salute. 



But I've also had an interest in Campaign Game Miniatures (CGM) so I bought a batch.  And here, I must give a big positive shout for Dermot Quigley of CGM.  I ordered figures and two days later they arrived in Dunfermline from Barcelona. 




If only my painting was as fast as the delivery.  However, I got the figures mounted on bases and undercoated with my usual white, so we'll see how the painting goes. In the box are Dutch Belgian, French, British and French cavalry.  


And then, before much more gaming stuff happened, the guys at the club suggested playing the fantasy game, Warlords of Erehwon - though essentially it's just Bolt Action with swords. We played a game and I used my Perry Wars of the Roses figures as substitute elves, and it was OK. Them I bought some Mantic elves. 





I did my usual undercoat of white, put them on temporary bases and decided to 'paint' most of them with inks and washes. Here are the experiments with various greens, with the bottle placed behind the figure. Of them all I like the GW biel-'whatever name it has this year' green, but more so the Vallejo black green ink.  


Then I carried on and used every wash and ink I could lay my hands on. Not too bad overall, though I suspect the yellow chap will be redone in a different colour.   



I'm not sure if I'll carry on with elves. I'll finish these off, but they could end up on that well-known auction site. 

Then I got the chance to get these goblins, and had a great game with them.


And not forgetting these shield maidens I got a while back but which are still on sprues. Someday they'll get finished. 


And so the games go on … 

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.