Monday 23 August 2021

first posts in a long time

It's way past time I was posting. So I'll post a few pictures of activities, generally going backwards.

Here's my latest activity.  I played a couple of games of the new glossy version of Muskets and Tomahawks with friends. They were good games and a friend bought the British for the French-Indian War.  Some of the figures looked nice so I offered to paint the highlanders and the friend gave me the figures to take away.

To cut a long story short, here are the finished figures. I'll leave the finishing of the bases to my friend. 








Now, one of the things to emerge from this exercise, is a little personal moan - why is it that some sculptors just do not understand the kilt or the way that it hangs or moves. It seems to me that some sculptors assume a kilt is like a skirt and graft on the bottom of a Roman or Greek tunic, or indeed a skirt, onto a British uniform top and think job done.

But no, the back of the kilt has a smooth front but pleats at the back, a deliberate series of folds that allow for easier movement. It's been there since the 18th century. 

Sadly, these FIW highlanders had a smooth tunic type thing all the way round, so I tried to paint on the deep folds at the rear. I think I was reasonable successful. If they had been my figures I would have tried to sculpt or carve folds, but as it was I tried my best with paint. 

Bah humbug, och aye, ye ken...  

My other major activity of recent times has been 3D printing, so I'll post more on that later.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.